Kidney failure is a pathological state in which the part of or all kidney functions have been lost. It can be caused by a variety of kidney diseases and many extra-renal factors. When these chronic renal damages enter into end stage it is called kidney failure because the kidneys have failed its normal functions to produce urine and at the same time of clearing metabolic wastes and toxins, maintaining balances of water, electrolyte and acid-base.
Obstructive nephropathy is renal parenchymal disease in which kidney functions are affected due to urination disorders. It can be chronic or acute affecting unilateral or bilateral kidneys with unilateral more common. Urinary tract obstruction is the major cause of obstructive nephropathy and hydronephrosis is its common manifestation.
Long time obstructed kidneys will have a series of symptoms and discomforts:
1. Renal colic. It is the typical symptom of obstructive nephropahty. The pain can be persistent or intermittent. If it is chronic one, the pain is not very obvious and it can only be discomforts in the back and abdomen. In acute cases, the kidney can be enlarged while in chronic cases the kidneys might be atrophic due to renal fibrosis.
2. Urinary disorder. If it is complete and bilateral obstruction, there will be anuria and if the obstruction is not complete there will be diuresis.
3. High blood pressure. It is very common and can be caused by excessive secretion of renin or retention of water and sodium. Blood pressure can be lowered after the obstruction is solved. But if this condition lasts for a long time, high blood pressure might last for a long time.
4. Erythrocytosis. It is mainly due to excessive secretion of hemopoietin due to hydronephrosis.
5. Acidosis. This is mainly due to secretion of H+ by renal tubules. Some cases can also have the complication of hyperkalemia.
Treatments for obstructive nephropathy include alleviation of symptoms and complications, surgery to relieve the obstruction so as to achieve the effects of preventing further worsening of illness condition and recovering kidney functions.
Leave your problem to us,You will surely get the free medical advice from experts within 24 hours!