Is spinach harmful for kidney failure? Raw spinach is believed to be able to reduce risk for cardiovascular disease and cancer, so it is deeply loved by many people. However, it is said spinach is harmful for kidney failure patients. Is this true? If yes, how does it affect kidney function?
Is spinach harmful for kidney failure?
First of all, I’d like to say spinach is indeed a good nutritious foods, but it is not necessary for everyone. For kidney failure patients, it’s better for them to ask their nephrologist whether they can enjoy this food due to the disturbance of calcium metabolism.
Normally, our serum potassium level remain between 3.5 and 5.0mEq/L. Keeping calcium level in the normal range is essential, as calcium plays a crucial role in our bone and many other body parts. However, for kidney failure patients, due to impaired kidney function, they run a high risk for low calcium level in blood. For this reason, it is necessary for them to avoid foods that may cause decrease of their serum calcium level.
For raw spinach, it is high in oxalate which has a tendency to bind to the mineral calcium. Therefore, if not enough calcium is eaten with spinach, it will take calcium from bones, thus causing osteoporosis. Besides, oxalate joints with excess calcium in the kidney, which can cause kidney stone. For these reasons, kidney failure patients are usually not suggested to eat spinach.
Other foods that are harmful for kidney failure
Spinach is not recommended for kidney failure patients with low serum calcium, as it may worsen their illness condition. For kidney failure patients, what they can eat and can not eat actually depend on their illness condition very much. Generally speaking, for kidney failure patients, they need to
1. Avoid high phosphorus foods like bran, sunflower seeds, toasted wheat germ, cheese, nuts, roasted soybeans, flax seeds and bacon and so on.
2. Avoid high potassium foods like white beans, baked potatoes, dried apricots, baked acorn squash, yogurt, salmon, avocados, white mushrooms and banana and so on.
3. Avoid high sodium foods like baking powder, soy sauce, salad dressings, sun dries tomatoes, cheese, snake foods, pickled foods and saltwater crab and so on.
4. Follow on a low-salt diet and try to add less salt while cooking.
5. Arrange a low-protein diet, as high protein intake will increase kidney burden and aggravate illness condition. But they can ingest some high quality protein like lean meat, fish, egg white and milk, as high quality protein produce less wastes.
The above is the introduction about whether spinach is harmful for kidney failure and the common foods that may do harm for kidney failure patients. If there is anything unclear or you have further questions, please feel free to contact us: email@example.com
Leave your problem to us,You will surely get the free medical advice from experts within 24 hours!