Kidney transplant is a renal surgery in which a healthy kidney will be transplanted into renal failure patient' body to replace the failed and necrotic kidney to help get rid of dialysis and regain kidney functions.
What are the indications of kidney transplant?
Generally speaking, kidney transplant is the most ideal treatment for chronic renal insufficiency and it can be applied to all end stage renal diseases. However there are some restrictions in clinic to improve the survival rate after the transplant. In case of the following conditions, kidney transplant is more suitable and the curative effects are better.
1. Serum creatinine > 15mg/dL and Creatinine clearance rate < 5ml/min. It is the fundamental basis for operating kidney transplant.
2. The primary disease of kidney failure is glomerulonephritis followed by chronic pyelonephritis, interstitial nephropathy and renal cystic diseases.
3. Age is not a major factor, but it is better for those that are between 15-55 years old.
What are the contraindications of kidney transplant?
Though kidney transplant is effective for recovering renal function and treating kidney failure, it can not be applied to every renal failure patients. Here are some contraindications.
1. If the primary disease is systemic such as amyloidosis, nodular arterial inflammation and diffuse vasculitis, kidney transplant should not be considered or the transplanted kidney will be affected too.
2. If patients have severe systemic infections, tuberculosis, peptic ulcer or malignant tumor which will be worsened in short time because patients have to take immunosuppressant and steroid to suppress the rejections after the surgery.
3. If patients have severe medical diseases such as heart disease, liver cirrhosis or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, they can not tolerate operation or anesthesia.
4. If patients have mental disease, poor compliance or if they can not afford the huge costs, kidney transplant is not very suitable because they have to take lifelong maintenance therapy.
Leave your problem to us,You will surely get the free medical advice from experts within 24 hours!