Is there requirement of dialysis after kidney transplantation? In theory, kidney failure patients need not to do dialysis again after kidney transplant. However, for some kidney diseases, they have a high reoccurrence rate and in such a case, kidney failure patient is at high risk to suffer from dialysis again after kidney transplantation.
Kidney transplant is a medical surgery in which a healthy kidney is put into patient’s body to replace the failed kidney to work. Therefore, for kidney failure patients, if they want to do kidney transplant, they need to find a kidney donor firstly. The biggest risk for kidney transplant is rejection which may become the final cause for patient’s death. To prevent rejection, kidney failure patients usually need to take anti-rejection medicines for the rest of their life. However, in some cases, serious rejection occurs a few minutes after kidney transplant and in such a case, the new kidney need to be removed immediately.
In clinic, there are different kinds of kidney disease like IgA Nephropathy, Diabetic Nephropathy, Hypertensive Nephropathy, Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD), Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) and so on. On the basis of clinical studies, list of disease which recur following kidney transplantation goes as follow:
1. Primary FSGS: about 40% of cases will recur after kidney transplantation.
2. Primary membranous nephropathy: The risk for patients with Primary membranous nephropathy to do dialysis again after kidney transplant is 30%.
3. MPGN: type II MPGN has recurrence rate of 90%, whereas type 1 MPGN has a recurrence rate of only about 25%.
4. IgA Nephropathy/Henoch-Schonlein Purpura: Patients with IgA Nephropathy or Henoch-Schonlein Purpura Nephritis have 50% possibility to suffer from dialysis after kidney transplant.
5. Primary hyperoxaluria: this disease occurs essentially 100% of the time unless it is performed as a dual liver-kidney transplant.
With different kind of kidney problem, patients who have done kidney transplantations have different risk to suffer from dialysis again. Therefore, finding a new treatment is very important. In past, there is no effective treatment, but now new treatment method- Immunotherapy which combines western medicines and estern medicines has been created to fight against kidney failure. It shows great treatment effects. Therefore, for kidney failure patients who have a high risk to develop dialysis again after kidney transplant can have a try about Immunotherapy.
Leave your problem to us,You will surely get the free medical advice from experts within 24 hours!