Massage is the oldest medical method in China. Theoretically it is based on Chinese viscera and collaterals and with the combination of western anatomical and pathological diagnosis. During the therapy, massage practitioners will use hands to press, push, knead and rub the skin, muscles with certain fingering and operations. The superficial and deep layers of muscles and connective tissues will be manipulated and this can help promote blood circulation, activate the collaterals and regulate neural functions.
Massage can be classified into medical massage, massage for health care and massage for sports.
Medical massage is called massage therapy. It is a physiotherapy being applied to treat various chronic diseases, functional and developmental diseases. Massage for health care can help improve physical fitness, relieve fatigue and improve longevity.
The stagnation of blood and Qi and the meridian impassability will cause the pains and damages of the involved parts. Massage can help activate the collaterals and remove blood and Qi stasis so as to eliminate the pathological factors, relieve symptoms and treat the disease.
Massage can have the following curative effects:
1. Relieving pains and discomforts. One of the major functions of massage is relief of pains. Pressing and kneading certain acupuncture points can alleviate fatigue, ache and pains.
2. Blood pressure. Massage of certain parts of the body can regulate the functions of blood vessels and nerves, improve blood circulation in the whole body through expanding small arteries and microvascular and lower high blood pressure.
3. Alleviating anxiety and depression. Massage can make people feel relaxed and peaceful and eliminate tension, anxiety, depression and other negative emotions.
What is more, massage has many advantages. It is simple, economical and practical and sometimes can be used to substitute medicines. It is safe for some chronic diseases or if the patients are weak. For some complex illness conditions, massage can be combined with acupuncture and medicines. However in case of some acute diseases or visceral lesions, patients should be sent to hospital as soon as possible.
Massage has wide indications. It can be used in surgery, internal medicine, gynecology, pediatrics, health care, etc and it has good effects especially in treating chronic diseases and functional diseases. Massage can be used or be combined with other treatments in case of the following conditions: sprains, joint dislocation, muscle strain, muscle atrophy, migraine headache, intercostal neuralgia, sciatica, facial palsy, muscle spasms, rheumatoid arthritis, nervous vomiting, indigestion, constipation, insomnia, nocturnal emission, chronic diarrhea, urinary incontinence, neurosis, dysmenorrheal, etc.
There are some cases that are not very proper for massage such as acute infectious diseases, acute osteomyelitis, tuberculous arthritis, infectious skin problem, eczema, burns, skin ulcers, tumors, acute peritonitis, acute purulent peritonitis, and acute appendicitis. In addition, massage should not be applied to women of menstrual period or gravida of more than 5 months. Elder and weak patients or those that have serious cardiovascular diseases are all contraindications of massage.
1. Massage practitioners should keep their hands clean, warm and nails trimmed. Do not wear ring or other adornments to avoid injuries of the patients’ skin.
2. Patients should adopt a position that is convenient for the massage and relax their muscles.
3. The massage direction should be the same as the backflow of blood and lymphatic fluid.
4. The force during massage should be gradually increased and then gradually decreased until the end.
Male, MD, was born in December, 1933. He has twice been to Zaire for foreign medical aid work and his team was named as the advanced collective. He is also the chief editor or co-author of many books such as Diagnosis and Treatments Points for Common Blood Diseases as well as many medical theses.