People with kidney failure may present a set of metabolic disorders including high potassium level in blood. Well, what are the causes and manifestations?
Causes of high potassium level in kidney failure patients
1. Excess ingestion of potassium. It includes eating high content of potassium foods, oral intake of a large amount of potassium drugs, supplement of stored blood.
2. Damage kidney function. In kidney failure, the severely injured kidneys can not excrete the excess potassium in blood, eventually results in high potassium level.
3. Potassium-sparing diuretics. Theses medicines include amiloride, ACE Inhibitors, ARBs and so on.
4. Metabolic acidosis. When metabolic acidosis occurs, the intracellular potassium ion will flow into blood, in this way, hyperkalemia may come into being.
Manifestations of high potassium level
The clinical manifestations of hyperkalemia can be summarized into two aspects, cardiac muscle and skeletal muscle.
1. High content of potassium will refrain the myocardial cell and it can manifest as a slow heartbeat and arrhythmia, in serious cases, there may be heart arrest.
2. When the skeletal muscle is affected, sufferers may present weak limbs, sore muscle, etc.
In addition to this, some patients may experience blurred mind or drowsiness, however, the exact cause is not clear, which can be connected with neurological dysfunction.
How to reduce high potassium level in kidney failure?
To avoid serious consequences, kidney failure patients should restrict the intake of high-potassium foods, such as, potatoes, bananas, organs, tomatoes and dairy products.
To resolve the issue fundamentally, it is essential to take effective treatments to promote kidney function. And Hot Compress Therapy is such a good choice. It’s a combination of TCM and modern technology and active substances of the herbs can effect on kidney lesion directly. As the condition varies, each herbal formula is prescribed on the specific condition. If you want to know more about this, please send us your test report firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply you within 24 hours.
High potassium level should receive enough attention in kidney failure patients, otherwise, the consequences will be very serious. Any follow-up questions, you are welcomed to leave us message below.
Leave your problem to us,You will surely get the free medical advice from experts within 24 hours!