Shortness of breath is a common condition when we just run a 100m sprint uphill. However, for some people with kidney failure, they may suffer from shortness of breath even if they have no drastic physical activities. Why is this? How to manage shortness of breath in kidney failure?
Why kidney failure patients experience shortness of breath easily?
Shortness of breath is a trouble symptom of kidney failure and also the reason for patients to be hospitalized in some cases. Mainly kidney failure causes breath problem through the following several ways:
1. Metabolic acidosis: Metabolic acidosis is the major cause of shortness of breath in kidney failure. Kidney is in charge of keeping balance of acid-base. Failed kidney can not remove acidic material successfully, as a result of which, metabolic acidosis occurs.
2. Fluid retention in lung: In early stage of Chronic Kidney Failure, swelling may only occur in parts with loose tissues like eyelid, face, ankle, leg, foot and testis in male. If this condition left uncontrolled, it will spread to lung and cause shortness of breath.
3. Anemia: Anemia is a condition in which red blood cell count is lower than the normal range. Red blood cell is responsible for bring oxygen to the body tissues, so anemia is always accompanied by symptoms like fatigue, shortness of breath and dizziness and so on.
How to manage shortness of breath in kidney failure?
The followings are the several tips for kidney failure with shortness of breath and hope it is helpful:
1. Keep the house cool and use a fan to circulate the air
2. Have a good rest and avoid staying up
3. Limit fluid intake strictly if you have severe swelling symptom
4. Avoid foods that are harmful for your kidney like high-salt foods, high -sodium foods, high-potassium foods and so on.
5. Keep a clean living environment
6. Quit smoke and avoid drinking alcohol
Actually, for kidney failure patients, the root cause of shortness of breath is decreased kidney function. So only when kidney function is improved, can metabolic acidosis, fluid retention and anemia are alleviated from the root cause and also can shortness of breath be remitted effectively.
Leave your problem to us,You will surely get the free medical advice from experts within 24 hours!